10. 09. 2018
The president of India Ram Nath Kovind and his Czech counterpart Miloš Zeman have signed three understandings of their countries’ mutual cooperation, two of which pertain to the area of science. After the signing which took place on Friday, September 7, 2018, both sides had a ceremonial lunch in the Vladislav Hall of the Prague Castle.
Of key importance to the scientific domain is especially the Memorandum of Understanding on Scientific and Technological Cooperation which was signed by Vice-Chair Jan Řídký, representing the Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS), and Secretary Ruchi Ghanashyam from the Ministry of External Affairs of India, representing the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
“I was pleased that in his speech, Mr. President of India mentioned our laser centre ELI Beamlines as an example of an area where brand-new opportunities are opening up,” stated Vice-Chair Jan Řídký of the CAS. The research centre ELI Beamlines in Dolní Břežany is administered by the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, and President Nath Kovind visited it during the weekend.
The memorandum was signed by the CAS Vice-Chair Jan Řídký and Secretary of the Ministry of External Affairs Ruchi Ghanashyam.
The memorandum supersedes an older protocol on scientific cooperation from 1995 and covers cooperation in all scientific areas except Humanities and Social Sciences. It also deals with Joint Mobility Projects, i.e. the mutual exchange of scientists and their stays abroad.
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research is India’s largest research and development institution, having been established in 1942 and presently employing about 12,000 people. It includes 38 national institutes, 39 outreach centres, and 3 innovation complexes, being a technology leader in generic drugs, industrial catalysts, and leather technology. The CSIR is an independent institution but it is largely funded by the Ministry of Science and technology.
Original Czech text prepared by: Alice Horáčková and Milan Pohl, Department of Media Communication of the Head Office of the CAS
Photo: Hana Brožková, archive of the Office of the Prague Castle
Přečtěte si také
- Nanodiamanty pomáhají rozkládat nervově paralytické látky
- Na ELI Beamlines se s projekty hlásí první externí uživatelé
- Čeští vědci pomohli rozluštit dědičnou informaci hrachu
- IDEA CERGE-EI zve na přednášku o odborném vzdělávání
- Renomovaný chemik Hiroshi Nakatsuji získal čestnou medaili Akademie věd ČR
- Klíčový objev pro pochopení mechanismu Alzheimerovy choroby
- Nová metoda mapování elektrostatického pole molekul se submolekulárním rozlišením
- Český Siemens ocenil mladé vědce, studenty a pedagogy
- Odkud a kam putují nepůvodní rostliny
- Americký astronaut bude přednášet v Praze