14. 12. 2018
Four outstanding Czech scientists were awarded prestigious medals for long-term accomplishments and advancements of their fields of science: geneticist Jiří Forejt, botanist Jan Krekule, physicist Jiří J. Mareš, and geologist Zdeněk Vašíček. The laureates received the medals on Wednesday, December 12, from the President of the CAS Eva Zažímalová herself.
“We select the laureates very carefully, based on proposals of their institutes, as well as on recommendations by the Scientific Council or Academy Council. This is a highly distinguished company of individuals who have significantly contributed to the development of their fields of science,” Zažímalová stated during the ceremony in the main building of the Academy of Sciences on Národní třída, Prague.
Geneticist Jiří Forejt (born 1944), who has achieved top results in the study of genetic and molecular nature of hybrid sterility in mammals, was awarded the Jan Evangelista Purkyně Honorary Medal for Merit in the Biomedical Sciences. Botanist Jan Krekule, DrSc. (born 1931), a leading Czech scientist with outstanding contributions both to methodology and international cooperation in botany research, received the Gregor Johann Mendel Honorary Medal for Merit in the Biological Sciences. Physicist Jiří J. Mareš (born 1952), a top scientist dealing with transport proprieties of semiconductors, received the Ernst Mach Honorary Medal for Merit in the Physical Sciences. And geologist Zdeněk Vašíček (born 1937), who has achieved internationally significant results in the fields of ammonite taxonomy, biostratigraphy, and palaeogeography (especially Ammonoidea), was awarded the František Pošepný Honorary Medal for Merit in the Geological Sciences.
Geneticist Jiří Forejt with the President of the CAS Eva Zažímalová (left) and Vice President Zdeněk Havlas (right)
Botanist Jan Krekule (right) with the CAS president and her vice president
Physicist Jiří J. Mareš with Eva Zažímalová (left) and Academy Council member Pavel Krejčí (right)
Geologist Zdeněk Vašíček with Eva Zažímalová
Prepared by: Milan Pohl and Alice Horáčková, Department of Media Communication of the Head Office of the CAS
Photo: Pavlína Jáchimová, Division of External Relations of the CAO of the CAS
Přečtěte si také
- Nanodiamanty pomáhají rozkládat nervově paralytické látky
- Na ELI Beamlines se s projekty hlásí první externí uživatelé
- Čeští vědci pomohli rozluštit dědičnou informaci hrachu
- IDEA CERGE-EI zve na přednášku o odborném vzdělávání
- Renomovaný chemik Hiroshi Nakatsuji získal čestnou medaili Akademie věd ČR
- Klíčový objev pro pochopení mechanismu Alzheimerovy choroby
- Nová metoda mapování elektrostatického pole molekul se submolekulárním rozlišením
- Český Siemens ocenil mladé vědce, studenty a pedagogy
- Odkud a kam putují nepůvodní rostliny
- Americký astronaut bude přednášet v Praze