22. 02. 2019
A two-day event named U.S.–ELI Scientific Dialogue currently takes place in ELI Beamlines research centre in Dolní Břežany near Prague. Its aim is to strengthen and deepen the existing excellent Czech-American cooperation in establishing unique ELI centres and identifying new possibilities of cooperation on both research and government levels. Czech and American research institutions follow the meeting with great interest.
Among the participants of the event, organised at a request of the U.S. Department of State, are representatives of American government agencies (Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, or Air Force Office of Scientific Research), as well as many important personalities from American research institutions and universities. The event is held under the patronage of U.S. Ambassador to the Czech Republic Stephen King. Czech government is represented by the Deputy Minister of Education Pavel Doleček.
“This event confirms the fact that, soon after its opening, ELI already plays an important role on the field of both European and world science,” says Michael Prouza, director of the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences.
Potential of laser research
The programme of the two-day conference consists of a series of lectures and discussion panels where the speakers identify specific ways in which the ELI infrastructure might be employed by American research teams, as well as options and possibilities how the U.S. could be integrated into the operation and formal structures of ELI.
Among the invited guests, the keynote speaker Gérard Mourou, who has been awarded the Nobel Prize in physics in 2018, features most prominently. His long-time work in American and European research institutions is an outstanding example of synergy in use of resources and cooperation of both research communities.
The fact that Mourou’s innovations in laser technologies have been awarded with the Nobel Prize illustrates the extraordinary potential of these technologies – not only in research but also in industry and society in general.
Prepared by: Milan Pohl, Department of Media Communication of the Head Office of the CAS, and Michael Vích, ELI Beamlines
Photo: ELI Beamlines
Přečtěte si také
- Nanodiamanty pomáhají rozkládat nervově paralytické látky
- Na ELI Beamlines se s projekty hlásí první externí uživatelé
- Čeští vědci pomohli rozluštit dědičnou informaci hrachu
- IDEA CERGE-EI zve na přednášku o odborném vzdělávání
- Renomovaný chemik Hiroshi Nakatsuji získal čestnou medaili Akademie věd ČR
- Klíčový objev pro pochopení mechanismu Alzheimerovy choroby
- Nová metoda mapování elektrostatického pole molekul se submolekulárním rozlišením
- Český Siemens ocenil mladé vědce, studenty a pedagogy
- Odkud a kam putují nepůvodní rostliny
- Americký astronaut bude přednášet v Praze