Academy Assembly elects new members of Academy and Science Councils
23. 04. 2021
Delegates of the Academy Assembly have elected new members to the CAS’s Academic Council and Science Council for 2021–2025. The elections took place through a specially designed electronic application.
In the first half of March, President Miloš Zeman re-appointed Eva Zažímalová as President of the Czech Academy of Sciences. On March 23, delegates of the CAS’s Academy Assembly elected new members to serve on the Academy Council and Science Council in 2021–2025.
The elections took place through a specially designed electronic application. More than two hundred registered delegates virtually attended the LVII. meeting of the Academy Assembly and elected a total of 15 members of the Academy Council and 29 members of the Science Council for the 2021–2025 term of office.
In addition to six scientists who had already served in the previous period of office, the elected members of the Academy Council include nine new members from the workplaces of the Czech Academy of Sciences, including Ilona Müllerová (Institute of Scientific Instruments), Jiří Homola of the Institute of Photonics and Electronics or Ondřej Beránek (Oriental Institute).
The Academy Council, with its 17 members (including CAS President Eva Zažímalová and the President of the Science Council) will act as the executive body for the CAS over the next four years. The Science Council's mandate is to serve a conceptual and advisory function in the preparation and implementation of the Czech Academy of Sciences’s science policy. Elected members of both bodies take up office on March 25, 2021.
Read more: Czech Academy of Sciences website
Text: Petra Palečková, The Institute of Photonics and Electronics of the Czech Academy of Sciences
Photo: Jana Plavec, Division of External Relations of the CAO of the CAS
- Two Czech laser centres celebrate 10th birthday
- At Expo 2020, algae show their potential for plants and people
- An investment fund created. It will support innovative scientific projects
- Physics for the 21st century. Opening of a new centre for research excellence
- When the Earth Flares Up: another comic searches for a magnetic field
- A new coronavirus antibody test soon to be on the market
- A special method to detect drug-induced liver injury
- The COMPASS tokamak ends: A new era of fusion research begins in Czechia
- Scientists identified genes that could help to predict menopause timing
- Metallic water prepared for the first time under terrestrial conditions
The Czech Academy of Sciences (the CAS)
The mission of the CAS
The primary mission of the CAS is to conduct research in a broad spectrum of natural, technical and social sciences as well as humanities. This research aims to advance progress of scientific knowledge at the international level, considering, however, the specific needs of the Czech society and the national culture.
President of the CAS
Prof. Eva Zažímalová has started her second term of office in May 2021. She is a respected scientist, and a Professor of Plant Anatomy and Physiology.
She is also a part of GCSA of the EU.