Academy Council of the CAS statement on the tragic events at the Faculty of Arts, Charles University
22. 12. 2023
The Czech Academy of Sciences is deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic events that occurred on 21 December 2023 at the Faculty of Arts of Charles University in Prague.
The Czech Academy of Sciences is shaken by the news of the tragic events that occurred on Thursday 21 December 2023 at the Faculty of Arts of Charles University in Prague. We hold many personal and institutional ties to the academic community of the oldest university in the Czech Republic. Charles University is the alma mater of many of us; a number of our colleagues, friends, and relatives study and work at the Faculty of Arts. We hold the victims and survivors in our thoughts and extend our sincere condolences to the bereaved.
We firmly believed that nothing like this would ever happen on an academic campus in the Czech Republic. Waking up to the horrific reality of a mass shooting is all the more devastating. We offer our support to the entire academic community of Charles University and the Faculty of Arts, its teachers, students, and staff in the wake of this senseless act of violence.
- The CAS visited by chess grandmaster and Russian opposition activist Kasparov
- The CAS will support scientists whose research is at risk in their home country
- Unravelling the mystery of biodiversity – with a little help from the fruit fly
- The Academy hosted a two-day UK–Czech Republic Bilateral International Meeting
- Anthropologist Viktor Černý in search of modern human origins
- New Strategy AV21 programmes to explore space, rare fungi, and our identities
- Czechs part of mission set to explore why Venus and Earth evolved differently
- Insect wings may have evolved from gills, scientists hypothesize
- Radomír Pánek is the new General Assembly Chair of the EUROfusion consortium
- Fun can be had even in the molecular biology of cancer dept, researcher says
The Czech Academy of Sciences (the CAS)
The mission of the CAS
The primary mission of the CAS is to conduct research in a broad spectrum of natural, technical and social sciences as well as humanities. This research aims to advance progress of scientific knowledge at the international level, considering, however, the specific needs of the Czech society and the national culture.
President of the CAS
Prof. Eva Zažímalová has started her second term of office in May 2021. She is a respected scientist, and a Professor of Plant Anatomy and Physiology.
She is also a part of GCSA of the EU.