Nanodiamonds help decompose nerve agents
07. 10. 2019
A new diamond-titanium nanocomposite may help decompose dangerous chemical warfare agents such as Soman in much more effective manner. It was developed in cooperation of scientists from the Czech Academy of Sciences, namely by the teams of Štěpán Stehlík from the Institute of Physics and Jiří Henych from the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, together with the teams of Bohuslav Rezek from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the Czech Technical University, Karel Mazanec from the Military Resarch Institute, and Lars Österlund from the Uppsala University.
“Nanodiamonds have proved to be a very suitable material as they are relatively inexpensive and enable a very simple modification of their surface chemistry, and, consequently, the properties of the resulting composite” confirms Štěpán Stehlík, who deals with the preparation and the study of diamond nanoparticles at the Institute of Physics of the CAS.
The idea of using nanodiamonds in the nanocomposite originated from Stehlík‘s close cooperation with the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, together with which he develops more efficient methods of processing nanodiamods.
Translated: Stanislav Široký
- Position of the Czech Academy of Sciences on the support of frontier research in Horizon Europe
- Czech Intellect award for CAS for unique methane to methanol transformation
- The building of the Academy of Sciences is closed
- Giant plant genomes are driven by the accumulation of repetitive DNA and its conversion into a „dark matter“
- Position of the Czech Academy of Sciences on the future of the European Research Area
- How is a metal formed?
- The Czech Academy of Sciences tests samples, develops protective materials and advises with economics
- New study reveals that mud may be flowing like lava on Mars
- A new biosensor can detect the coronavirus before the start of the formation of antibodies
- Scientists developed genetic tools for research of marine protists. The international 100-member team was led by Czech parasitologists