CEVAST is a new hope for technology ethics, says Forbes magazine
20. 09. 2019
The Karel Čapek Center for Values in Science and Technology (CEVAST), formed last year under the Czech Academy of Sciences, is quickly gaining a reputation of a foremost European institution dealing with emerging issues in technology ethics. Most recently, Forbes magazine has taken notice of CEVAST, praising it for „immediately convening important meetings in artificial intelligence and robot ethics“ and calling it “a new hope in Prague.”
The Center, bearing a name of the legendary Czech writer who invented the word “robot,” was established in October 2018 as a mutual effort of three institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences (Institute of Philosophy, Institute of State and Law, Institute of Computer Science) and the Faculty of Science at Charles University. Besides the ethics of robots, the Center deals, for example, with issues connected with autonomous vehicles, i.e. self-driving cars.
Forbes magazine has now conducted an in-depth interview with the Center’s co-founders, philosophers David Černý and Tomáš Hříbek, who discussed, for example, ethical dilemmas that need to be solved before self-driving vehicles are put to use, differences between European and American approaches to the ethics of autonomous driving, as well as the future plans of the Centre.
The whole article with the interview can be freely accessed here.
Original Czech text prepared by: Milan Pohl and Markéta Růžičková, Department of Media Communication of the Head Office of the CAS
- How is a metal formed?
- The Czech Academy of Sciences tests samples, develops protective materials and advises with economics
- New study reveals that mud may be flowing like lava on Mars
- A new biosensor can detect the coronavirus before the start of the formation of antibodies
- Scientists developed genetic tools for research of marine protists. The international 100-member team was led by Czech parasitologists
- The Czech Academy of Sciences tests samples, develops new tests and advises with economics
- European Academies of Science warn: Plastic Crisis Requires Fundamental System Change
- First observation of controlled electron transfer within a single molecule
- The building of the Academy of Sciences at Národní 1009/3 is closed
- The Human Brain Project 2020 Open Day